Everything is always in motion. ‘Panta Rei’, as the Greeks say. In a way we are always in transition. Yet we are now in a particular point in history where several defining transitions are underway, where linear thinking is being replaced by systems thinking and extractive production will hopefully be replaced by circular regenerative practices. These transitions, some of them underway, some of them much needed, affect the way we see and organize our economy and society.
Transition Talks is a series of conversations about these big questions that we need to answer collectively. On this page, we will share all the details about these events. Here is a list of events that are part of the series 'Transition Talks':
- Ownership and Control of our Local Economies - May 24th from 15:00 till 17:00 - Organised by Corporate Europe Observatory and Democracy Collaborative, among others. > More info here
- Paths and pacts for a citizens' transition to a good and caring society - May 24th from 18:00 till 20:00 - Organised by RIPESS, among others. > More info here
- Refugees and the City - May 25th from 18:00 till 20:00 - Organised by Amsterdam City Rights and Seebrucke, among others. > More info here
- From Fridays for Future to Communities for Future - May 26th from 14:00 till 16:00 - Organised by Ecolise and Transition Network, among others. > More info here
- Digital Infrastructures: How can communities benefit? - May 27th from 18:00 till 20:00 - Organised by Commons Network, Waag, OpenFuture, Public Spaces, among others. > More info here
Transition: the process of changing from one state or condition to another
And we need a new social and economic model for our societies! We want just cities, socially, ecologically and economically sustainable, where everyone can play an active role in shaping their livelihood and has a dignified job or life fulfilment. For that, we have to get released from those values that hold the structures of power and destroy our planet.
---From extractive to regenerative
---From individualist to community based
---From competitive to cooperative
---From macho to feminist
---From participation to co-creation, co-stewardship and co-provision
---From economic growth to circularity
---From anthropocene to ecological resilience
The Cities for Change Forum is all about these transitions, which very much affect the five key domains in this forum: New Economy, Climate and Energy, Housing and Public Space, Migration and Racism, and Digitalisation.
From May 24th until May 28th, a series of Transition Talks will discuss the large transitions in each domain. The Transition Talks are organised collectively by different organisations from across Europe, including many local initiatives and also think tanks and networks like Ripess, Ecolise, WSFTE, CEO, Diem25, Democracy Collaborative, REAS and Commons Network.
Stay tuned for more info!